Pages

Thursday, October 15, 2009

Accordian Man


As I let go of the idea of doing any photography from a left-handed perspective, I attempted to do what would be my more typical photographic work.  I recognize that I'm out of practice, which includes the courage to be audacious, but I grew frustrated with my high end point and shoot.  Even with the "controls" that I have on my camera, I got irritated as I waited for my camera to do what I wanted it to do.  I know how to trick a point and shoot to create depth of field, but this also became a battle with the auto focus and slow response time.

Most of my photography is people oriented and done at a conversation distance.  That's what I mean about being audacious.  You have to be willing to approach someone and ask to take their picture.  You have to be willing to enter a conversation with a complete stranger in order to get a relaxed photograph.  This is not a bad photograph, but it could be so much better.  I had to stand at a distance and zoom in to get a more shallow depth of field, which made him more like a display in a zoo.  I don't like that when I'm going for a more intimate photo.  I would rather have a more intimate interaction with him. 

...anyway, I recognize it's time for me to suck it up and buy a real DSLR if I intend to truly revive my photography. 

1 comment:

lynn said...

great shot! i ran into a lot more people playing accordians in nyc than in l.a. to answer your question on my blog, julius is a little prince now and refuses to go out in the rain. we put him in a little isaac mizrahi for target trench coat and force him.